Monday, March 23, 2009

'Gunmetal Black' by Daniel Serrano

'Gunmetal Black' is the debut novel of Daniel Serrano, and after reading it, I truly believe that Serrano is the future of crime fiction. The novel features a young Puerto Rican ex-con as he gets out of prison in Illinois and attempts to start a Salsa music record label in Miami, only to have his criminal past come back to haunt him. Sounds like a ridiculous concept, right? I thought so too, but decided to give it a chance. 2 days later, I had finished all 485 pages of it and was thirsting for more from Serrano.

For what seems like a dubious plot, 'Gunmetal Black' is the best first person crime novel I have read since Edward Bunker's 'No Beast So Fierce'. Much like Bunker, and Brian S. Bentley, Daniel Serrano is able to engage the reader with his unpretentious writing style and unrelenting action sequences and plot twists.

This is by far, the best book I have read this year. Even though I have only read 9 books so far this year, (as of March 23, 2009) it is by far the best. I literally could not put this book down. It is rare that I will not get tired when reading a book late at night, but 'Gunmetal Black' kept me awake when I really should have been asleep. The fast driving plot felt like a roller coaster ride that I didn't want to end. After reading it, I felt really bad for reading half of it at the bookstore, and the other half at the library. It definitely would have been worth the 17 bucks to buy it.

As a crime novelist, I think Daniel Serrano has already reached the top echelon of writers, and has carved a place for himself next to the likes of Elmore Leonard, Edward Bunker, and Walter Mosley.

I honestly cannot wait for his next novel to come out in June I can guarantee that I will be among the first to read it. And this time, I plan on buying it.

So if you want to read an excellent example of what a crime novel should be, read 'Gunmetal Black'. It has everything a crime novel should have, and it is the epitome of a page turner.

On a scale of 1-10, I give it an 11. It's that good.

And it's totally worth shelling out the 17 bucks for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment